What causes drastic loss of weight in an elderly person?

Kathy
Kathy Shattler

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: I have lost forty pounds in the last six months without a change in lifestyle/diet. I went from 187 pounds to a present 145, is it time to see a doctor or am I aging, I'm 77.

Email -- YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Kathy Shattler 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
I noted your kidney stage IV and I imagine you have been given a diet to follow along with that.

Your concern regarding the rate of weight loss is valid and has put you at risk for malnutrition. Aging is not responsible for such a large weight loss in such a short amount of time. Any weight loss greater than 10% in six months is considered high risk and you have lost 21% at this writing.

Please see both your physician and dietitian immediately for nutritional repletion without refeeding syndrome and have the doctor look at your labs and make recommendations to the dietitian and to you.

I think you should follow up with your personal physician as soon as possible.

Regards, XXXXXXX J. Shattler, MS,RDN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad