What causes drainage from the ear?

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have drainage from my left ear (looks like maybe ear wax). No pain. I have been taking Ofloxacin Ophthalmic solution 0.3 that was prescribed by my nurse practioner. I was to take 10 drops twice a day for 10 days. The drainage stopped after 5 days. I quit taking the drops. It has now started to drain again but not so much.

Will it quit draining on its own?
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.

I would like to ask you few questions to find out what might be the cause of ear discharge:
1.)What is the colour of ear discharge-brownish/yellowish(like pus)/watery?
2.)What is the consistency of ear discharge-thick/sticky/liquid/watery?
3.)Is the discharge foul-smelling?
4.)Did you suffered from cold or throat pain recently?
5.)Do you suffer from any of these:Itching/ear blockage/reduced hearing?
6.)Did you tried to clean your ear by self or water went inside ear?

Ofloxacin is an Antibiotic which is helpful in case of bacterial infection.

I am waiting for your answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Riddhi Shah 31 minutes later
The discharge is yellowish. The consistency is liquid but not watery. It is not foul smelling. When this first occurred I did have some slight pain which didnt go away. I went to my nurse practioner and she prescribed the medication. She said there was no damage to my inner ear. I might have caused damage by using a Q-tip and I also wear in the ear hearing aids. No cold or throat pain recently.

The drainage has stopped for now and still no pain. It seems to drain when sleeping.
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for your reply.

Looking at your information,it seems to be purulent discharge.You might have slightly injured the ear canal by using Q tip.Continue using Ofloxacin ear drops three drops three times a day for one week.
Don't try to clean your ear by self and also don't allow water to go inside ear while taking bath.As you are using hearing aid,at present use it less often,so that ear can get air to prevent humidity inside ear.

After following the above measures for around 1week,if still your complain is not improving,then it would be advisable to consult an Otolaryngologist ENT doctor for examination of the Ear.

Hope this answers your question.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Riddhi Shah 13 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Shah!
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for your reply.

You are most welcome.

Wish you a good health.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy