What causes double visopn when suffering from post concussion trauma syndrome?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi... I have a 15 yr old son who suffered his 3rd concussion this winter playing hockey on February 8th. He is one of the unfortunate ones who has the post concussion trauma syndrome. He has had double vision with a midline shift ever since. He does go to vision/brain therapy. Unfortunately he passed out on May 1st and struck his head again. They had him get an echo gram and discovered a hole in his heart that should of closed and grown shut after birth. For the last few months he has no vision when he stands up or gets up from sitting sometimes. After a minute or so bright dots start coming and vision slowly returns. Could this be related to the whole in his heart? He is set to see a cardiologist in a couple weeks to discuss patching the hole. Thank you in advance for your thoughts :)
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes , it can be heart related.

Detailed Answer:

This can be heart and his blood pressure related.Even in normal individual on sudden change in position like getting up form sitting blood takes time to reach the brain.A person might face blackouts if there is delay .In your sons case it is taking more time.

Other thing that doctor might want to see is his intracranial blood vessels so doctor might suggest him a cranial angiography scan.

Also doctor will check out posterior chamber of his eyes.

So this should be the steps to evaluate this. After this evaluation doctors will be to predict whether this will stop after cardiac surgery.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad