What causes double vision whute on Loxartan?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My 53 year old husband started experiencing double vision, he is on Loxartan/hct 12.5ml once a day, carvedilol 6.25 2x a day, glyb/metform 2.5 ml 2 x a day, Fenofibrate 160ml once a day and he also has bone spires in his neck. What could be causing this? It started on Monday of this week and he has been on these meds a year and a half.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It appears like nerve palsy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that your husband is having double vision and he is on treatment for diabetes and hypertension.
Sudden onset of double vision in diabetics and hypertensives we should suspect nerve palsies which affect the muscles of the eye resulting in double vision.
I need few more details to answer more accurately,

See whether the double vision is present only on opening both the eyes and disappears on closing one eye.

If this is present it confirms the diagnosis of nerve palsies caused by diabetes or hypertension.
Most of these will recover by 2-3 months with treatment and strict control of diabetes and hypertension. The treatment is only by use of B complex vitamins to make the progression of recovery fast.

Do consult your doctor for confirmation of diagnosis and assessment of the general condition and control of diabetes or hypertension.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

THANK YOU
WITH REGARDS
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 12 hours later
Thank you! It is very helpful!
It does disappear when he closes one eye. So would that confirm the nerve palsies diagnosis?
He weighs approx. 250 pounds how much B complex should he take?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it confirms nerve palsy as probable cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

Since the double vision is disappearing on closing one eye, it is because of nerve palsy affecting the extraocular muscle.
The commonest cause for this in this age group is because of diabetes or hypertension.
Hence he requires evaluation to assess the status of these conditions and treatment of them.
Use of drugs containing multivitamin and B complex vitamins is supposed to help in recovery. I usually prescribe them with B complex tablets like Neurobion one tablet per day for 4-10 weeks.

Do consult your doctor for examination of diabetes and hypertension state and prescription of drugs.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 51 minutes later
We have made an appointment for this afternoon to have everything checked and thank you so much for your help! I will use this site again!
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for writing to us on Health care magic.

With regards