What causes double vision and hair loss while suffering from pituitary macro adenoma?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Good day...I am 73 male 5'9" 135#. I have a macro pituitary tumor, 18mm, Dx august 2016. December began experiencing double vision beyond 20 feet. By january i needed corrective lenses to drive. I lost most hearing in one ear, R, two weeks ago & on rising this morning I now have bilateral hearing loss. Vision is the same. Tinnitis history.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram).

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The pituitary macro adenoma can cause vision problems, however hearing loss is unlikely.

2. Get a PTA ( Pure Tone Audiogram) done and upload the report.

3. If this is a Conductive Hearing loss, it can be treated.

4. If this is an SN hearing loss, you need immediate attention.

5. Upload images of the most recent scans.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 minutes later
I understand that there is no association with macro pituitary tumor...What is the distinction between Conductive Hearing Loss and SN hearing loss and the need for immediate attention with SN?...Initially it was ear R and in three weeks the issue appeared in the other.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
The distinction between CHL and SNHL will require a PTA or TFT's.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. In the PTA (Pure Tone Audiometry) graph, Conductive Hearing Loss (CHL) will appear as a normal Bone Conduction (as per age) and an Air-Bone Conduction Gap. Only Air Conduction levels will be decreased indicating a sound conduction problem in the external or middle ear.

2. In SensoriNeural Hearing Loss (SNHL) the Bone Conduction will be decreased and there will be no significant Air-Bone Conduction gap. Both the Bone Conduction and Air Conduction levels will be deceased indicating an inner ear problem.

3. SNHL has an ideal treatment window of only 4 weeks and requires immediate medical treatment.

4. SNHL is usually unilateral in more than 95% cases. SNHL on both sides is rare (2-5% cases). Hence in your case CHL should be considered first.

5. it is also possible to check with Tuning Fork Tests (TFT's) for hearing.

6. Upload a PTA report, ear drum examination findings and images of recent scans for discussing further treatment options.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T