What causes double vision and drooping eyelids?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: my right eye lid started to droop since yesterday evening and I had been getting double vision the day leading up to this could you offer any advice on what would cause this and would it be necessary to see my gp or an optician
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HCM for query,
The drooping associated with double vision can either be because of infection or mild injury to some nerve or can be because of minor stroke.
I would suggest you to get a neurology consultation and physical examination of motor supply of forehead nerves should be done.A swab from eye should be taken for detecting bacterial infection.A MRI brain shoud be done on stroke protocol to rule out possibility of a minor stroke.
Along with it ask your opthalmologist to give high dose methyl prednisolone about 16 mg twice daily.
Investigation advice
Fasting blood sugar
PP blood sugar
Lipid profile
Blood pressure
MRI brain stroke protocol.
Slit lamp examination.

As per your question consult your opthalmologist and Neurologist.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 33 minutes later
I have had two blood tests that were normal and booked in for fasting bloods tomorrow I've already asked to see a neurologist but was declined as my gp did not think it was necessary and suggested hemochromatosis but having been having muscle spasam/bad balance and feeling dizzy do you think this would be connected I was previously diagnosed with essential tremor about 6 years ago by a neurologist I think that is why gp does not want to send me back again as I already had full body mri 6 years ago and was OK
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
I would suggest you to ask your GP to start you on a high dose of methyl prednisolone for 3 days,If not relieved in that case you should definitely consult a neurologist as poor balance,dizziness,along with drooping and double vision can be a indicator of Transient ischemic attack or XXXXXXX stroke,and should be ruled out.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad