What causes double vision, acid reflux and indigestion?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have had a difficult month physically. Had the flu about a month ago. Was placed on prednisone for four days and then developed bad case of acid reflux and indigestion. As a result of this I was placed on Zantac 300 mg at night and Carafate. After this episode, I had an incident when I was at the doctor and my blood pressure dropped to 88/58 (this has not happened since to my knowledge). Then last Friday my vision started to go double so I went to the ER (had a CT scan and such). Sent to an opthamologist and they said that my double vision is caused by a worsening of some type of insufficiency where my eyes don't work together likely caused by my body being weakened by an illness this month. It may or may not go back to normal. After all of this, and I'm starting to wish that I didn't own a FIT bit, I have noticed that my average sitting pulse rate has dropped from the seventies a few weeks ago to now 58. Doctors keep telling me that it's because I likely have a healthy heart, but my average was never this low before. With my anxiety problems I automatically assume that I'm going into heart failure or something. Should I be concerned with this progressive drop? It does go up to the 60s during most of the day.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that it is important performing a comprehensive differential diagnosis of different causes that may lead to this clinical scenario:

- thyroid dysfunction
- electrolyte imbalance
- a cardiac disorder

The double vision could be caused by low blood pressure too. Is this symptom disappeared now?

Anxiety could also trigger this symptomatology. But I can assure you that your symptoms are not typical of any heart failure, so just RELAX!

Your heart rate values could also be normal for an asymptomatic person, who is know to have a low heart rate. But considering your symptoms and the fact that you have never had such heart rate, some tests are needed to investigate for the possible cause.

I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for some tests:

- a cardiac ultrasound to examine your cardiac function and structure
- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to examine your heart rhythm trends during the day and exclude possible arrhythmia
- some blood lab tests (complete blood count, thyroid hormone levels, blood electrolytes, fasting glucose, inflammation tests including PCR and sedimentation rate, kidney and liver function tests).

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 11 minutes later
The double vision is still there, but my BP is normal. 120/80 ish. My pulse rate seems to be normal during the daytime hours, but the average sitting pulse rate at night is really low...and much lower than it apparently was prior to these health problems. Is this something that I can wait until next week or am I going to have a heart attack or something? Thus far, they have only done a ton of bloodwork and a few EKG's, but no ultrasound of my heart or a 24 hour test. I have mentioned this drop in my pulse several times, but the doctor's don't seem to be taking it seriously. My guess is because of my anxiety.
I guess that I also should mention that I've lost 10 pounds this month due to all of these issues.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information!

In my opinion these tests can wait a week. There does not seem to be any emergency.

Your heart rate and blood pressure are within the normal ranges now.

Besides, I would also recommend consulting with a neurologist for your double vision. A brain MRI may be needed.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
thank you for the follow up. I am scheduled to see both a neurologist and my primary care on Thursday. I will make sure to run your recommendations regarding my heart rate to her.
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri