What causes dizzy spells with normal blood work and EKG?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I fainted last week. Seeing cardiologists and neurologists. Cause is still unknown. So far all blood work, ekg, chest x rays came back normal. Neurologist stated it isn't neurological after examining me. I'd forget about it. However, the dizzy spells are repeating. I get the dizzy spells once in a while since, hot, tingly, chest spasms, and nearly faint if I don't lie down. What else could be causing this "vasovagal syncope" my doctor diagnosed it as? And how long will this last? I'm out of work and all I do is lie around since... Why am I not bouncing back?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

I have read your history carefully.

The vasovagal syncope (dizzy spells, near fainting etc ) can be due to Anemia, Dehydration, a lowered blood sugar , decrease in Blood pressure or emotional stress among other things.

The duration would depend on the cause, I have the following suggestions

a) check your baseline fasting and random blood sugar
b) take small but regular meals through the day
c) Stay well hydrated and drink plenty of fluids
d) try to stay relaxed and avoid stress

If symptoms persist you may get a CBC done to rule out anemia and you may also start a 1 month course of multivitamins, both after consulting your doctor.

let me know if you have any query
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T