• question-icon

What causes dizzy spells, lack of energy and back pain after bypass surgery?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: my wife has dizzy spells, no energy, and sever pack pain in the middle of the back. she has had bypass surgery and stints recently. She just had a heart XXXXXXX last week and doctors said the heart is fine and her problem is something else. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that it is important performing a comprehensive differential diagnosis between different causes that may cause this clinical scenario:

- an infection or inflammation
- a cervico-thoracic column disorder
- esophageal spasms could lead to severe pain in this region. But they do not cause dizzy spells.

I agree with your doctors that her performed tests have excluded any cardiac or aortic disorder.

I would recommend consulting with her attending physician for a careful physical exams and some other tests:

- a chest X ray study
- a cervico-thoracic column X ray study
- some blood lab tests (complete blood count, PCR, sedimentation rate, kidney and liver function tests)

A thoracic CT scan may be needed to examine the thoracic structures and investigate for the possible cause.

You should discuss with her doctor on these issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 47 minutes later
Thanks for your suggestions, a CT scan is scheduled for 4-4-2016. Do you think the problem with dizziness is related to other symptoms? Her blood pressure goes down when standing about 84 over 59; sitting 118 over 65; and laying 127 over 69.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information!

These blood pressure changes during standing up position are very indicative for orthostatic intolerance. This disorder may not be related to the back pain.

I recommend performing Head up Tilt test, which is the test of choice for the diagnosis of this disorder.

Further test (complete blood count for anemia, thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction, blood electrolytes, fasting glucose and HbA1C for diabetes) should be done to investigate for possible secondary causes that may trigger this disorder.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist