What causes dizzy spells in an elderly person?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 13 Feb 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: Im 75. What causes dizzy spells?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different possible causes such as: (1) side effect of medication, particularly blood pressure medication or medication to help reduce fluids such as diuretics or blood sugar medication or medications to help with sleep or relaxation

If you are currently using any medication, traditional or herbal, you should check the side effect profile

(2)dehydration- inadequate amount of fluids in the body due to inadequate intake or excess loss (Eg from vomiting, diarrhea, fever, blood loss)

(3)abnormal heart rate- the heart rate affects the blood supply to the brain so if it is abnormal in any way, this can affect blood supply and cause dizziness

(4)ear disease- particularly any condition affecting the inner ear

(5)anemia- low blood count can cause dizziness

(6)heart disease such as heart failure (heart cannot work hard enough to supply the body) or angina (chest pain due to decreased blood supply in the heart)

(7)low blood sugar

(8)orthostatic hypotension- low blood pressure on standing

If the dizziness continues or it worsens, then you may want to consider seeing your doctor for an assessment.

This would include physical examination- listening to the chest, lungs, checking pulse and blood pressure.

Investigations may be needed to definitely find the cause.

Treatment would depend on the cause found.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 days later
Ok thanks. Please ignore my two additional requests.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
Wishing you the best

If you have any other queries, can let me know