What causes dizziness?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Nov 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Dizzy
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please elaborate on dizziness

Detailed Answer:
Good evening. My name is Dr. Saghafi and I'm in the XXXXXXX OH region of the world. Looks like you're in the XXXXXXX area.

I'm interested in helping but I notice that you like to ask your questions using 1 or 2 words...commendable so far as brevity and economy of words are concerned but unfortunately for a doctor it's just not enough information to give you any diagnosis since so many things cause dizziness. Please tell me what you exactly mean by dizziness. Many different definitions or perceptions exist among folks so that's why I need to check and see what your understanding is of that word.

What I have gathered by reading your other questions is that you're experiencing a number of problems with your GI system based upon vomiting and bleeding. This seems to be happening as a result of overuse of alcohol and then, vomiting comes on due to intoxicating effects.

In all likelihood dizziness may be due to either an anemia or a XXXXXXX dehydrated status or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) based upon poor eating habits which is common in people who overuse alcohol.

I'm concerned that your condition may require higher levels of service than what you can provide to yourself at home. I'm assuming as well that your insurance coverage may be minimal or perhaps you don't have insurance. However, if your condition is worsening (especially the bleeding aspect of things) and if you have darkened or tarry colored excrement and stools then, you should go to the hospital for help because you may very well be bleeding internally from either ruptures or tears or you may have an ulcerative type of disease.

Please advise what your status is at this time....are you home and if so, has your condition at home worsened since you started writing all these questions at the beginning of October?

If any of the information I've asked or provided has been useful to further your understanding or give you ideas as to which direction to turn next and you'd like to CLOSE THIS QUERY then, could you do me the favor of leaving a brief feedback message with a STAR RATING for the quality of this response?

Please feel free to contact me at any time to ask more questions about this or any other topic you would like by using the following link:

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68474

This query required 27 minutes of physician specific time to review, research, and compile the final draft for envoy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Dariush Saghafi 38 minutes later
I'm fine sir I don't drink much I just had a night out with my friends and drank to much I dry heaved/ vomited 11 times then the 12th time it was pink. I'm healthy I'm a paramedic working a full time job I also suffer from hypochondria. I believe my dizziness is from sinuses and anxiety. I had blood work 4 months ago at a yeArly check up and everything was perfect
Brief Answer:
Understood- Glad you're well

Detailed Answer:
I see. I guess I was over-reading your condition from what was written. I guess that's one of the disadvantages of doing consults strictly from what is written. You don't get the full sense of the picture if you don't at least see the patient in front of you. I guess it would be the same as a paramedic. Imagine doing your job from strictly the telephone...not even SKYPE or anything....just a phone call....like a 911 operator....it'd be tough.

So if your blood work keep back without any abnormalities and you had just a 1 night party it up and pound 'em down type of get together with your buddies then, you should be good to go on the next run! LOL. <Just make sure you check your boots for beer cans before you stick your foot in....HA! Otherwise, might need to get a tetanus shot at the hospital when you take the patient in!

Just curious...you recognize the fact that you suffer from hypochondriasis. I've noticed at least a half a dozen people I've done consults for over the past week say the exact same thing....they explain their symptoms, ask a lot of questions about the symptoms (sometimes they even know the answers) and then, follow it up with a recognition of the hypochondriatic state....I guess I'm fascinated to know if you've always been that way since childhood or did it somehow just "come on."

I think it's fascinating that you're a paramedic and live with this sort of issue as well. Must be tough...yet you're doing it. Did you become a paramedic in order to "conquor" your fears of illness so to speak? Are you hoping that your career will somehow be therapeutic or help you cure your condition?

Do you ever try and help patients of yours who may admit to you their identical problems with advice or ways to control their exaggerated sense of having diseases that you know they don't have since you're a paramedic?

Sorry for all the questions back at you but I really would like to understand this condition a bit more since I've seen more of it in the past few months on this network than probably in the last 15 years in my private practice as a neurologist. What sorts of methods or interventions work for you to calm your fears down? What sorts of things TURN YOU OFF when told by people or doctors? I imagine that you have a tough time reconciling the fact that you recognize your condition of hypondriasis and you know what that means.....yet you battle with taking that knowledge and translating it to a given situation such as if you see a little blood or get dizzy to realize that in fact, you probably don't have cancer, don't have internal bleeding, etc. etc. But you're still compelled to believe that you do somehow....

You know what it's like? It's like watching a really good magician do a card trick. You know he can't possibly be doing all the stuff he's doing with a deck of cards yet even though you KNOW that in your head that there cannot be supernatural powers....he somehow keeps manipulating your eyes and your brain so that at the moment of the trick....your brain tells you that something really funky and whacky just happened.....is that kind of what your condition feels like to you?

So how can a doctor help you SEE THE TRICK do you think? I don't know how to go about doing that....maybe you don't even know what the right thing is for a doctor to do or say....I can't imagine there's truly medication for something like that unless there is a whole lot of anxiety and exaggerated fear which accompanies then, probably something to calm down a person's emotions or anxiety would be a good treatment.

If any of the information I've asked or provided has been useful to further your understanding or give you ideas as to which direction to turn next and you'd like to CLOSE THIS QUERY then, could you do me a favor and leave some brief feedback with a STAR RATING for the quality of the response? Please feel free to contact me at any time to ask more questions about this or any other topic you would like by using the following link:

This query required 23 minutes of physician specific time to review, research, and compile the final draft for envoy.

Follow up: Dr. Dariush Saghafi 52 minutes later
And another thing I can be completely fine then the next minute I'll feel lost I know where I am but in my mind I feel lost like out of it is that a physico mastic issue it's been going on like 3 years I'll be riding in town where I've lived my hole life and feel like I'm going the wrong way but I know every road I'm coming up to

This started when I was about 6 years old I had the croop and ever since then the littlest health issues I think the worst

Yesterday I had a head ache from sinuses I thought of a brain tumor this morning my stomach was upset so I started thinking about throwing up the blood a month ago I'm constantly worrying about a health issue everyday and they cycle around each other one day there then gone and back the next week
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sought treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sharing that information.

Do you suffer from PTSD from either a traumatic childhood experience of near death, abuse, or molestation by friends of the family or family members?

Have you sought professional treatment or have you discovered how to get involved with support groups for your disorder? Have you gone through desensitization programs or cognitive behavioral therapy sessions?

This query required 7 minutes of physician specific time to review, research, and compile the final draft for envoy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Dariush Saghafi 8 minutes later
No sir I don't suffer from those. I have thought about those I'll look in to them none of those symptoms sound like brain tumors right
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I'm sorry perhaps I wasn't clear

Detailed Answer:
No, I wasn't referring to anything of an organic nature such as a brain tumor. I was asking whether or not you carried a diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) as happens when a person is either physically or mentally traumatized. It can be at the hands of a family member, military experience, near death experience such as MVA, hospitalization which became complicated and resulted in being coded, etc.

Just trying to see if we can discover the root cause to the hypochondriatic condition. I know you said that you felt that it all started with croup...but me feeling is that age 6 is a bit on the young side to be able and form such disrupted perceptions of illnesses that end up becomes obsessive. But perhaps not, I would have to investigate that a bit.

Is there anything that a person can say to you or something you can do like meditation, self hypnosis, etc. that can significantly calm your hypochondriasis down?