What causes dizziness?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello,

for last 1 week i suddenly feel spin in my head and i tend to lose balance. It usually happens when my stomach is not well. it occurred first when i was looking up and suddenly looked down. it has happened thrice since then.. i also get vomiting tendency and lose my apetite. it happens for may be 1 hour and then i feel very light headed and tired. my age is 32 and i am an IT professional with 8 hours of computer work. I have a history of severe stomach infection and Gas disorder 1 year ago..

I did a basic test in one of the hospital and doctor told it may be vertigo.. I want to know if i can consult a good doctor who is specialist in treating vertigo..
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I'll try my best to help you out with this problem.

Dizziness is a symptom of various underlying causes. 'It is easy to treat dizziness, but, finding the cause is the toughest thing'.

Following are few commonest causes of dizziness:
1. Electrolyte imbalance
2. Flu
3. Gastritis
4. Refractive errors
5. Cervical spondylosis
6. Ménière's disease
7. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
8. Blood Pressure related causes
9. Thyroid related disorders, etc.

Hence, a complete evaluation has to be done before starting the treatment.
1. You need to get your blood pressure checked
2. Blood investigations such as serum electrolytes, thyroid function test and total blood count and lipid profile.
3. An x-ray of the cervical spine to rule out spondylosis
4. Ophthal examination to rule out refractive errors
5. ENT examination
6. CT scan/MRI if required

I would suggest you to consult a good physician at the earliest for a complete evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D