What causes dizziness?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Does this mean my brain is not getting enough blood supply? Do I have high chances of stroke? Are heavy dark circles under my eyes the cause of this? My eyes seem heavy when I have dizziness. Why does dizziness go away after I take quick naps or after swimming. I am 5'8, 88 KG and have habits such as drinking and moderate smoking. Used to have high triglycerides around 700. No high cholesterol. Now on fenofibrate and atorvastatin from past 1 year. Also have mild gastritis and take prazoles for it. What sort of doctor should I visit? A cardiologist? My dizziness has gotten worse lately. What could be the cause of sinus arrythmia? Lifestyle or birth defect. What sort of treatment will I require? Sorry for too many questions but I hope you can answer all of them. Thanks in advance .
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
PLEASE SEE BELOW.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
I have read your XXXXXXX question as well as your current question and will answer collectively.
1. Dizziness has three basic causes central nervous system related issues including ear related causes, cardiac causes and general causes. Neither sinus arrhythmia not skipped beats give rise to prolong dizziness. Sinus arrhythmia is almost always asymptomatic and skipped beats cause momentary dizziness, not prolonged spells.
2. Neither your history supports the decrease blood supply to brain nor it indicates increased chances of stroke. Dark circles around eyes are not associated with decrease supply of blood to brain. Now how to proceed about your dizziness?
If you have any ear related problem? Do you ever get tinnitus, pain in ear or decreased hearing? If the dizziness occur in a particular posture? if any of these is answered yes, see an ear specialist.
If you have any weakness of body part or limb, slurred speech, memory loss, repeated vomiting, blurred or double vision, gait problems visit a neurologist.
Cardiac causes of dizziness should ordinarily not associated with dizziness only in morning and they do not go away with a nap.
Cardiac causes may be associated with shortness of breath or chest discomfort. The pulse rate may be low at time of dizziness. A simple ECG is very helpful at time of symptoms.
General causes include anemia, generalized weakness due to any chronic illness, excessive alcohol intake (esp. on previous night), dehydration, alcohol withdrawal etc.
Hopefully this provides enough insight to you to frame your further question.
Feel free to discuss more.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 days later
Hi doc. Thanks for the response.

Just to give you more info, I have been having these dizziness from past 5-6 years. Right now it has gotten worse. To rate it, it is 7 out of 10. So can we rule out ear infection? Sometimes I have strong palpitations and can feel them in my throat?I think its not neurological either. Do you think it could be because of sleep depravation? I am not a very deep sleeper and wake up on the smallest sound. What would be my next step? I really need a solution on this since it is affecting my professional life. I feel agitated all the time
Because of this. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see below

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
1. ear infection is not the only affliction of ear but it can be some other degenerative process too.
2. Palpitation and dizziness may be two different things. Work-up of palpitation involves an ECG at time of palpitation, or 24 hour ECG monitoring if symptoms occur almost daily or a loop recorder which can detect heart rhythm for days together. An ECHO will also be required to rule out structural heart disease.
3. Sleep deprivation may lead to this but 5-6 years is too long for this to persist and remain same. If it does not occur after adequate sleep, this may be thought of.
4. First of all get yourself evaluated by a good internist (medicine specialist or physician), then depending upon examination findings and his assessment you can visit a neurologist/ cardiologist or ear specialist.
It is indeed an irritating symptom but have patience. A logical step wise approach will definitely help.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder