What causes dizziness with diarrhea and coughing?

General Surgeon
Question
I am experiencing dizziness for the past 2 days, I am sick to my stomach - some diarrehea and coughing during the night. I am relatively healthy so no idea what is going on.
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are most likely caused by gastrointestinal infection. Bacteria can be the factor of it. Dizziness is caused by dehydration due to diarrhea and possible low fluids intake. This makes blood pressure lower so there is not enough blood reaching the brain. This leads to dizziness.
As this lasts longer than 48 hours, you should visit a doctor. Stool test should be done and proper antibiotic prescribed. In a meanwhile please have no solid foods for 12 hours. Drink plenty of liquids (Gatorade, mineral water, tea). Start probiotic intake. If the symptoms will get better, you can start from mild diet (banana, rice, toast, apple sauce - it is called BRAT diet).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.