What causes dizziness with arm and leg numbness when diagnosed with MS?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 15 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi ! I was diagnosed with MS three years ago at the MS center of Montréal. My symptoms were dizziness, numbness in left arm and my legs. I apparently had an optic neuritis on my right eye confirmed by a neuro ophtalmologist. I am 43 years old and i have no high blood pressure, no cholesterol. I had an MRI a few months ago and the results are not clear to me : Multiple punctuate hyperintensities in t2 and flair mostly in the subcortical white matter. distribution and general shape of these foci is not reminiscent of demyeliting plaques. it may reflect chronic microvascular ischemia. I have memory lost, dizziness, fatigue, numbness and very tired legs. what is your opinion. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Spinal tap confirms/excludes the diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Subcortical white matter hyperintensities on brain MRI could be related to Multiple sclerosis, small artery disease of the brain, or chronic hypoxic changes.

If it is possible to upload some of MRI pictures, I can understand better your condition.

Multiple sclerosis diagnosis is not only made by imaging studies, clinical data and neurologic examination together with spinal tap examination about antibodies associated with MS.

Your symptoms resemble those of MS, MRI results let some doubts, to be sure, spinal tap needed.

Another thing, if Avonex improved your symptoms, it is more likely MS.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T