What causes dizziness while nodding?

Question
My concern is that when I move my head down then up I have a dizzy feeling. Nothing else seems amiss.
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may be BPPV, EPLEY maneuver may help

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Dehydration is one of the possible causes though they are others, replacing fluids as you were doing, would help if there was a fluid deficit except for the coffee (unless decaffeinated).
Caffeine has a diuretic effect on the body meaning that it causes a person to pass out more fluids. It should be avoided if dehydrated.

The other causes of your symptoms include issues with the inner ear (the inner ear plays a big role in balance).
These include--(1)BPPV- benign paroxysmal positional vertigo- dizziness or vertigo occurs with certain positions of the head and lasts a few seconds to minutes.

This may be case for you. It is a benign (not dangerous, only annoying) condition. If this is diagnosed by your doctor then a maneuver called EPLEY would help-

EPLEY maneuver directions are available online with images. Treatment for BPPV is meds such as antivert or dramamine for a few days along with the EPLEY.

(2)other causes are meniere's and vestibular neuronitis but these are not affected by head position

It would be best to see your doctor for assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: What causes dizziness while nodding? 12 hours later
Thank you for your clear response. I will follow-up with my doctor. I think it may be the inner ear. Also I will look up the EPLEY maneuver. Happy New Year!

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
inner ear causes most common

Detailed Answer:
HI

Inner ear causes are the most common. Agree should be assessed

Happy new year to you as well