• question-icon

What causes dizziness while looking up?

Posted on Sat, 7 Jun 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been experiencing dizziness when look up for a short period of time and when I look down I get dizzy and feel off balance. This also has been occurring when I wake up and sit up. This has been going on for several days.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo needs work up and symptomatic Rx

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking!
Hello XXXX I went through your query. I believe its the inner ear involvement secondary to the recent tooth infection resulted in vertigo. Viral infection are very common for Vertigos too and a recent flu infection could have caused that too.. But we will talk about all the possible etiologies for it possible. you need some vestibular suppressants for symptomatic treatment. You may ask your doctor about cinnarazine and/or Betahistine like medicines for immediate relief. some antiviral medication, and some antiemetic medications. I suggest salt restriction and diuretic group of medicines for vertigo there are some other options which you may consider from like antihistamines, benzodiazepines, phenothiazines, monoaminergic agents, and anticholinergic agents. But more importantly you need to know the reason for your this vertigo. vertigo has many causes.Inner ear diseases like meniere disease is one of them, But more common are history of falls or headaches and migraines. answer some of my questions first. -Do you have light-headedness, unsteadiness, motion intolerance, imbalance, floating, or a tilting sensation? -Do you have any viral infection history in near past? -Do you experience any hearing loss in affected ear or opposite one? -How long does the sensation persists? is it for seconds only or associated with head or body position changes or last for hours? -was the vertigo sudden in onset? -Do you have any history of migraine headaches, cold sores or viral illnesses? -Did you take any medicine or recreational drug in recent past? -DO you drink or smoke? -How old are you?(old people vertigo above 40 years is more serious. you will need a thorough physical examination like vestibular exams,(ositioning,caloric testings,posture and gait testing etc) and vestibular stress exams, some hyperventilation exams. electronystagmographies,rotating chair test,computerized dynamic posturography etc to rule out any serious underlying trouble. Mean while i would recommend signing up to some vestibular rehabilitation programs for their promising results. Hope i was of some help.
I hope you see it in a right perspective.Your vertigo needs to evaluated for its etiology.COuld be central or peripheral and it will be sorted by an otorhinolaryngologist and a neurologist. Meanwhile symptomatic treatment we talked about will help..
I wish you very good luck and take some every good care of yourself. Don't forget to close the discussion please.
Dr Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan