What causes dizziness while laying down on right side?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: when I lay down on my right side onto my pillow, I get a dizzy feeling, like I've been on a spinning amuzement ride. My eyes and head do a dizzy thing.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It might be Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
Since when you are facing this problem?
Is there any history of medical illness?
History of ear infection?

From the symptoms mentioned by you I feel that you are probabaly suffering from BPPV - Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. It can only be confirmed by examination. A test called as Dix Hallpike test is done to confirm. Please meet your ENT doctor for the same.

BPPV is the most common cause for vertigo.
It tends resolve on its own.
Generally we give a course of labyrinthine sedatives ( betahistine) to address the symptoms.
You can try Brandt Daroff exercises. Talk to your doctor about it. You can even get details of these exercises from youtube or even on google search.

Epleys manouvre helps to control symptoms . Talk to your ENT doctor about it.

Hope this helps

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj