What causes dizziness when suffering from anxiety?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Lately after every bowl movement, I feel dizzy and lightheaded. I have to sit down and try to relax because I suffer from anxiety and I don't want an episode. I have been diagnosed with minor diverticulosis. I dont have a fever / chills. Im drinking Gatorade just in case as well.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further investigations are needed...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

Based on what you are prescribing, feeling dizzy and lightheaded might be related to:
- vaso-vagal response (fainting) : sudden drop in the heart rate or blood pressure due to straining after each bowel movement
- re-acutisation of diverticulosis although you are not having fever/chills.

I advise to run:
- PCR
- complete blood work
for further evaluation.

Another cause could be related to anxiety and bad thoughts you have. However, first, you should exclude the problems as mentioned above.

Hope it helped!
Dr.Klerida