What causes dizziness when sleeping and standing?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What are symptoms of dizziness when laying down and getting up?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern I would explain that there are two possible causes of this symptomatology:

1- Orthostatic intolerance. In such case dizziness aggravates when standing up from sitting position. I would recommend measuring your blood pressure in sitting position and then in standing up position. A decrease more than 20 mmHg in your blood pressure when standing up from sitting position would be indicative of orthostatic intolerance. A head up tilt test would be necessary to confirm the diagnosis.

2- An inner ear disorder. In such case dizziness aggravates in every change in the position of your body and your head. In such case it would be necessary consulting with an ENT specialist for a careful physical exam and labyrinthine tests.

I would also advise performing some blood lab tests to exclude possible secondary causes which can trigger dizziness:

- complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes
- fasting glucose.

Meanwhile, I would recommend taking plenty of fluids, to avoid dehydration.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Greetings,

Dr. Iliri