• question-icon

What causes dizziness when diagnosed with migraine?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: my husband had a weird happening yesterday. He is 71 in great shape mentally and physically. The emergency room doctor said it was transient global amnesia. He had an optical migraine (which he gets off and on) but it was the worst one he'd ever had. Then he was confused for over an hour about who he was talking to, slight slurring of words too, tingling in both upper arms. He literally didn't know who he was talking to on the phone (people he knew well). He had some dizziness but was in good shape mostly to walk and everything. ct scan showed NOTHING.. We are seeing his internist tomorrow to follow up...maybe get an MRI? but all vitals were good at the emergency room. So I'm concerned this is some hidden situation, a blood clot, or heart attack, or TIA that didn't show up in ct scan but will it show up in an MRI? and are we missing what else it could be?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
TIA to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

In my opinion, TIA is a possible explanation of your husband's symptoms, so, an evaluation in this direction is necessary.

CT scan does not show anything when it comes to TIA, or in first hours of an ischemic stroke, MRI (especially diffusion-weighted sequences) is the imaging of choice.

Cardiac workup is also necessary to evaluate any probable blood clots that may result to TIA.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer.

So should he have had an MRI immediately after the incident? Will an MRI that we may get tomorrow even tell the story (48 hours later?) if it was a TIA?

what kind of a cardiac workup exactly? can you be more specific?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI is valuable up to five days after the attack.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

MRI is valuable in diagnosis of TIA up to five days after the attack.

Transesophageal ultrasound is more specific about probable emboli.

Hope I helped you.

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical