What causes dizziness, vertigo and blurred vision after an accident?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi! I am 35 years old and have been experiencing vertigo, dizziness, balance issues and blurred vision after a car accident that occured 2 months ago. They did an MRI of the brain and it noted that a mega cisterna magna is noted but that the ventricles and subarachnoid spaces are appropriate for my age. Ive had 2 mris of the brain in the past prior to this accident for headaches and both those mris never noted mega cisterna magna. My neurologist doesnt seem concerned and in fact didnt even mention it as o found it when i read the results.

He claims the dizziness, vertigo is all related to the whiplash injury and the herniated disc i have in my neck.

I just want to be sure this result is not indicative of a brain cyst. In addition since my prior mris of the brain did not show this i was wondering could this be a result of the accident?

The neurologist did say that this radiologist tends to over read mris

Your input is appreciated!

Best, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mega cisterna magna is a normal variant.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ms XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and MRI brain findings.

I would agree with your neurologist that there is no need to worry about the finding of mega cisterna magna, as it is a normal variant, found in many normal people.

There is no need to do anything about this, as it does not produce any symptoms.

There is no cyst in your brain.

Your vertigo and other symptoms would gradually improve with symptomatic treatment.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate your feedback. I will absolutely give you a good recommendation.

So I would assume that the accident did not cause the mega cisterna magna and if it was there before it was never mentioned on other mris correct?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, I agree with you.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Yes, I fully agree with you that the accident did not cause mega cisterna magna and it was there prior to the accident also, just that earlier radiologists did not mention it in the reports.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)