What causes dizziness post suffering a concussion?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 2 year old hit his head 3 weeks ago on the edge of our coffee table. He had an indent on his left eyebrow and a small cut On his eye lid. He was seen in the er. His immediate
S/s were not speaking or crying, drowsiness, and inability to stay alert. Er discharged him after a eval and told me to follow up with his
Pediatrician. No X-ray or ct was Ordered. His pediatrician saw him 3 days post injury and dx with concussion and we reduced his activities for a week. One and 1/2 weeks post trauma he appeared to be back to normal cognitively, no complaints and was asking to jump on the trampoline. He was examined and was cleared to resume normal playing. in the past couple days has complained of ear pn and tonight I noticed a small deformity on his left
Eyebrow where he hit is eye. Could this be a fx? What should be done?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Just wait and watch. No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that the local injury (the minor laceration and the dent) will gradually resolve. Even if there is a bony depression, I would not really classify it as a fracture and nothing needs to be done about it. The main concern could be the ominous signs of head injury which are:
* Vomiting
* Severe headache
* Altered consciousness or Loss of consciousness
* Convulsions

I assume that none of these have occurred. Unless any of these are present you need not worry. If any of these occur, you would need to get a CT scan of the brain done. Give paracetamol or acetaminophen in case the child is irritable due to pain.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana