What causes dizziness, numbness in the body and heart palpitations?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello Doctor,
I'm a 24 years old male and I have started to experience panic attack and anxiety disorder 4 years ago. I used to feel dizziness, numbness in head and body, heart racing and feeling like i'm going to pass out. I have done many health checks and tests until I finally been refereed to a psychiatric. He prescribed me Cipralex and (ativan when needed). I have started taking cipralex 5mg and gradually increased to 20mg and been under medication for a year. I have stopped taking Cipralex on 2014 and kept taking ativan when needed. After 2014, I haven't had a serious attack and I almost came back to normal.
Three days ago, I went to play soccer which I haven't play for few months. During the game, I have started to feel dizziness, numbness in head and around my lips and felt like old symptoms of panic attack. From that time, I'm feeling dizziness and numbness in head constantly. It's not strong as it used to be 4 years ago but I'm not comfortable and feel unbalanced. I have also feeling uncomfortable as my vision is blurred and unclear.
Doctor, this is my last semester in school and I'm afraid that my academic performance gets affected due to this.
Please advice
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think Klonopin can be used rather than ativan

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I have gone through the provided details and understand your concerns about recurrence of dizziness and numbness over head.

First regarding immediate management I feel Klonopin will be slightly better option as it has long half life and sightly better potential when it comes to anxiety in compare to Ativan. I do not mean that Ativan is inferior but considering your last semester and urgency of care Klonopin will make a better choice.

I am also of the opinion rather than waiting for long time it will be ideal to go back to SSRI as soon as possible. Since cipralex helped you immensely it is better if you can request your doctor to prescribe same molecule. In case there are any issues the option of fluoxetine or paroxetine can be explored as they are equally effective and have same pattern of action.

Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I hope this helps you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 25 minutes later
Thank you for your reply Doctor,

I'm wondering if there will be any side effects of taking cipralex again ? especially that I haven't taken it for more than two years ?

Whats the ideal dose that I should starts with and how long should I take it for ?

Is it okay that I started to have those symptoms again ?
Regarding the Klenopin, I currently have only access to Ativan which I have tried and makes me feel well. I'm planning on taking 0.5mg before starts studying and 0.5 mg before I sleep especially for the next week, is that ok ??

To be honest Doctor, I'm not feeling as bad as I used to as I know really understand what the panic attack is but I'm afraid of getting my academic performance affected negatively..is that a good sign ??
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Reuse of cipralex is as safe as in first time despite the use for more than two years.

The starting dose again is 5 mg and it is possible that you may respond to different dose than the first episode.

It is not ok but panic disorder have relapsing and recurring course and tend to occur again and again despite the best effort of patient and doctor.

It is ok if you have no access to klonopin.

I understand that it is not severe but it does not mean that it will not change to more severe side. Why need to take chance when there is treatment available.

last but not least never use anything without personally meeting your doctor especially when it comes to ativan and cipralex.

I hope this assists you further.
Thanks again.