• question-icon

What causes dizziness, lightheadedness and excessive sweating?

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been feeling dizzy and lightheaded since yesterday evening. I woke up with my pillow completely drenched. Should I go to the doctor?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If persisting yes.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I see from other past questions of yours that the sweating has been an issue for some time, reason for which you have been advised to see an endocrinologist. I wonder if you have done that and have had any hormonal tests, in particular for thyroid function.

As for the dizziness it can have many different causes. Before heading for a doctor one should make sure issues such as dehydration, lack of proper eating and sleeping schedules, overworking are not at play as rather than going to a doctor they would need lifestyle changes.

If none of those is in question and dizziness is persisting then yes, you should go to a doctor. Some causes could be inner ear issues, low blood pressure, anemia, infections, metabolic and hormonal issues.

Anxiety is also a common cause of lightheadedness. Neurological conditions at your age and in the absence of other neurological signs are unlikely to be at play. So you should go to a doctor for a physical check up and some blood tests to screen for the above issues.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.

Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 21 minutes later
Thanks for the answer. I have been to a Endrocronologist and I have low testosterone and high cholesterol. I am on meds for both. Possibly its dehydration and adderall making me sweat?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional information. Dehydration doesn't lead to sweating, but it can be the other way around, sweating if really profuse can contribute to dehydration which in turn can lead to dizziness.

As for adderall it can cause excessive sweating in some patients. It's not a common side effect though, should be considered as a cause only if sweating has started right after starting Adderall. On the other hand it can cause dizziness and lightheadedness in many patients so could be among the possible causes of your dizziness.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist