What causes dizziness in head upon getting up while on Benicar?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I took Benicar for high blood pressure but I get slight head and dizzy when I get up or stand up? please let me know what wrong with that situation?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
could be orthostatic hypotension

Detailed Answer:

dizziness is the most common side effect of this drug. The most common cause is orthostatic hypotension, which means that the blood pressure fells more rapidly than it should when you stand up from the recumbent position. A drop in the blood pressure of at least 20mmHg (systolic) when assuming the standing position. Normally there is some drop in the blood pressure but not that much. A sudden drop may induce symptoms of dizziness and faintness. Sitting or lying down helps immediately.

If this is your situation then reducing the dosage is the best solution to avoid similar symptoms. The target blood pressure for people taking antihypertensive medications is somewhere near 130mmHg for the systolic blood pressure. So if most of your readings are lower than that, you should discuss with your doctor about lowering the dose.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 days later
Thank you for your answer , I did check my BP was 113/71/78 so right now I understand how I was , I go online then I saw many patients review Benicar side effects will be harm kidney, hair loss ,anxiety very bad is that right?
so would you please tell me what kind medication good for me and less side effect, I have been with Atenolol for 4 years but I get side effects with sexual problem, and I wake up in morning use to be get numb on my hands and feet because my heat beat two low ,that why my doc change to Amlodipine 5mg but it not work for me then I got reaction then I have go ER room stay 1 night.
So would you please let me know what kinds medications is good for me?
Thanks you ..
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Olmesartan is probably safe

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

Olmesartan is probably safe but you can try another angiotensin receptor blocker (a less potent one) like losartan for example. Other options would include an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor [ACEi] (which has many common side effects with olmesartan) and a diuretic (which may also cause various problems).

There is no drug without side effects. The chance that olmesartan will harm your kidneys is minimal and practically only occurs when renal blood vessel atherosclerosis has led to a much reduced blood flow to the kidneys. Hair loss is very uncommon for any angiotension receptor blocker (and for olmesartan). The same applies for anxiety. If these side effects have occurred to you then you can try either losartan (as I mentioned before) or try an ACEi like ramipril for example. Always get advice from your doctor before changing your regimen. A specific drug may not be appropriate for you for various reasons and your doctor is the best person to judge that.

Kind Regards!