What causes dizziness in an elderly person post a bypass surgery?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 67 years old - male. I had triple by-pass surgery in XXXXXXX 2009 and have had normal health since. The last several days I experience several times a day light-headedness and dizziness almost to the point of fainting, but not quite. This lasts for about 30 seconds, then I'm back to normal. I've never experienced this before.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:
hello,
First, does it occurs only during the particular time, like getting up from sitting or sleeping position.
The first possibility is metoprolol sideeffect. This occurs due to decrease blood supply to the brain which occurs due to low blood pressure or low pulse rate, both can occur in you due to metoprolol. So i want you to measure your pulse rate in one minute and monitor your blood pressure. If either of two is low or on a lower side then we have to decrease the dose. We will also require one ecg to see the side effect of metoprolol, like is it causing any adverse effect on conduction system of the heart.
Also, we have to rule out the possibility of heart dysfunction as if heart function is low then it can also lead to low blood pressure and these symptoms. If you have underwent an echo recently then no need to repeat it.
In treatment, we need to reduce the dose of metoprolol, have plenty of oral fluids, avoid sudden change in posture like getting up from sitting and sleeping position. If all these things are not adequately informative which is possible as your problem is intermittent , we may need holter later. I hope that helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad