• question-icon

What causes dizziness, high heart rate and black lines in vision?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: So it all started a week ago when I went for a short 2 mile run and when I came back felt very light headed, increased heart rate, black lines going through vision, and eventually a feeling of the legs going weak. I went to the ER and they told me by my blood and urine that I was dehydrated. That sounded logical. I went home with a pretty powerful pressure in my head and headache but eventually fell asleep. Up until Wednesday of the next week, I had been feeling strange with pressure in the head and very uneasy feeling. On Wednesday night I had the sudden feeling of passing out, I got a cold flash all over my body especially my face. My legs again felt weak. I went to the ER and they didn't do many test except for blood pressure and an EKG. They sent me home but I have felt worse ever since then. Sometimes when I'm sleeping in my bed, I feel as though I don't have control of my body. Like I could pass out at any second. I have to open my eyes to reassure that I'm okay and that I'm not moving anywhere. Maybe it's something to do with my balance and the pressure in my head. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think, no worries

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HCM. Thank you for your question. I understand your concern.

Well, I really do understand your concern as these phenomena can happen both under physical and psychological stress. Today I am a doctor, but as a former basketball player, I used to have these complaints. Nothing is unexplained. Every time the heart is stressed, such as during physical avtivity or psychological stress, these complaints may happen. Now, to reassure you, if there is a problem with your heart, also referring to your age of 19 years old, a simple EKG would depict it. Since the emergency room sent you home, I conclude that there was nothing wrong with your heart electrical system. You know, everytime we stress our heart with physical activity, a fast heart rate of 200 per minute is acceptable as normal, so no need to worry about that. As about the sleep phases, everything experienced may be perceived as abnormal, even dreams. These phenomena always tell us that the brain overtakes every function during sleep. No need to worry, so far. I think it is only the stress you cause to yourself by asking "what is wrong with me?" that keep these happenings. My opinion is that there is nothing to worry about.

I hope my answer is of help. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up question(s).

Kind regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Meriton Siqeca 20 minutes later
Ok, hypothetically if there is nothing wrong with me then why so I feel all these abnormal symptoms? Are you saying these symptoms are all in my head? I definitley feel discomfort like in my chest and uneasiness in my stomach.
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Still, there is nothing to be worried about

Detailed Answer:
Hi again and welcome back.

The constant worry that there may be something wrong in your system, causes the symptoms. They may be felt as real, and they are so, but they are all a result of a strong psychological effect that you may be having, as you already thought something is wrong with you. It is not my intention to say that the problem is in your head. Forgive me, if you misunderstood. It is only that if something was wrong, tests performed in the emergency room would definitely depict what was wrong with you. This is probably a phase we all went through.

I hope this explanation helps. Please close the discussion and rate the answer, if you do not have follow up questions.

Best regards,
Dr. Meriton
Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist