What causes dizziness, headache and tinnitus after lowering dosage of Lexapro?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I feel dumb for asking these questions but I am at a loss .All of my life I have been relatively healthy 5-11 180 pounds. over the last year something has gone terribly wrong not sure if it is anxiety which I am told it is,by my some of my Dr's . Cardio ,Behavioral counselor, neurologist ect. I am consumed with my worry over health as you can tell by past post.Here is the deal( I wanted off) lisinopril I thought it was a bad drug ,Dr agreed to change it to Metoprolol and Hydrochlorine well after 2 weeks my b.p raised to 154 over 90 I emailed him and he told me I could resume lisinopril Bp seems normal now.This leads me to believe I am having side effects from the Lexapro that I have taken for 8 months for this anxiety .Weak arms and legs ,dizziness,headaches,night sweats, ringing in ear ,terrible sleep ,restless,pressure in head ,just plain out of it feelings of no body control.I told this to my counselor she said raise the dose of Lexapro from 10 to 15 mg daily .Instead I went to 5mg .what am I to do the withdrawal could be bad or taking the drug could be bad .I for some reason am consumed with my heart my cholesterol total is 195 I am still at 28 on vitamin D.If none of this is my problem what can it be I am lost here .
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
These symptoms may be due to metoprolol side effects or anxiety related.
As you have already stopped metoprolol,the symptoms should decrease gradually.
Lexopro should either be increased or taken in same dosage.
No need to decrease it at present.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 5 hours later
I am not a basket case yet and I want to pull myself out of this.I was feeling bad before metoprolol which I used only two weeks .The worse part of this is I get more answers on webmd than I do my Dr.they add it all up to anxiety ,but my body hurts my head hurts you see the symptoms I have , so my questions is anxiety ,lexapro or lisinopril it must be one of these ,if I had a dreaded disease or heart issue I feel it would have been found by now and I would be in a morgue by now .I realize an evaluation on line is difficult ,I am seeing my general practitioner on monday for a bp follow up . I wish I knew how all of this spiraled out of control so bad , thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
Lexopro can also lead to such symptoms and if you have worsening after using this, then drugs like clonazepam, etizolam can be used.
No other disease is likely as sufficient investigations havE already been done.
Wishing you good health and early recovery.
Blood pressure should be adequately controlled.
Dr N Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana