What causes dizziness, diarrhea and lightheadedness?

Question
I have been dizzy for 2 days and feel very lightheaded. I also have a bad stomach ache and experiencing diareahea. I am in pretty good health so no idea what is going on. I am also coughing all night long.
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
?? Acute gastroenteritis (stomach infection)

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

I should rightfully start with the main problem, which is a possible case of acute gastroenteritis (stomach infection). I would like to ask you a few questions if you do not mind ma'am:
-When you started experiencing the diarrhea and stomach ache?
-Was it of acute onset (sudden) or has it been present for a long duration of time and comes on and off?
-If it was of sudden onset, what did you have around 2-6 hours prior to the onset of your symptoms?
Your response would greatly help in me further assisting you ma'am, thank you for your co-operation.

The lightheadedness and dizziness are clearly signs of dehydration due to the loss of fluids and electrolytes in the form of diarrhea. I would recommend you to first:
-Visit a doctor if possible to confirm my suspected diagnosis
-Drink plenty of fluids
-Try to purchase over-the-counter ORS (oral rehydration solutions) to help hydrate you and provide you with the lost electrolytes

I hope you find my response helpful and I look forward to hearing from you to further confirm my suspected diagnosis. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: What causes dizziness, diarrhea and lightheadedness? 17 minutes later
Typically it is after I eat that I experience diarrehea. I will start drinking lots of fluids. I am still unsure why I am coughing all night - any thoughts.

Thank you!
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vague symptoms need more info

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

So does that mean you have had diarrhea for long or have you noticed that the diarrhea could be since you have started eating a particular food?

The cough at night, is it dry or is it once you are in a supine position or is it once you are in a particular area of the house? Please try to observe the specifics as this is what will help us in finding the cause for your symptoms. For now, you could try an anti-histamine and an antacid 10 minutes before dinner. Let us see if this helps prevent the cough.

Please keep me updated ma'am, I am always here to help, and if you remember any specifications or anything common, please do inform me.

Best wishes.