What causes dizziness, breathing problem and lightheadedness in a ankylosing spondylitis patient?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: im 55 yrs old male 5'9" 200 lbs I have ankylosing spondylitis am active I went to ER for dizziness,light headedness-they checked my heart,bp cat scan heartbeat below 60 bpm bloodpressure varied with lying sitting standing.sent to cardiologist but the dizziness etc seems to come from inside my head.Cardiologist in process of tests-heart monitor etc .I went to the ER tues its Friday I feel exactly the same.if I sit or lay down im ok -standing and walking starts the lightheadedness im not in pain. is my head deeply clogged?the dizziness has been ongoing but always goes away -but sunday after I got home from work was the worse-I exercise everyday at the gym usually treadmill for an hr+bradycardia and syncope were part of the diagnosis in the ER.Im trying to up my fluids-water appetite is gone-worrying trying to eat fruit veg fiber.no chest pain but breathing is slightly more labored than usual.I haven't been to work because I work on my feet all day.resting is hard for me but im doing it thank you what do you think?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be vertebrobasilar insufficiency

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your dizziness is due to decreased blood flow to the base of your brain (vertebrobasilar insufficiency ). There are two arteries supplying this area called the vertebral arteries. These arteries traverse up through the neck bones. If these bones are involved in Ankylosing spondylitis, the blood flow in these vessel may be compromised.
Heart rate of 60 is in the lower limit of normal, but if the pumping action of the heart is good, it is sufficient to supply to the brain if the blood vessels are normal. Try increasing your salt intake and it may give some relief.