What causes dizziness and sudden memory loss?

Cardiologist
Question
My husband has some dizziness, difficulty remembering things today and pupils are constricted. No blurred vision or speech problem. His BP was 134/80 and pulse 60. No carotid bruit, no headache, He is oriented x3. This has been present all day. I am a retired nurse practitioner so I have been watching symptoms all day. Should he go to the ER if it continues tomorrow?No HX of CVA. No head injury. Good appetite. He hiked 2 miles today with no problem. No numbness in hands or feet. No facial distortion. Normal conversation.
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your husband symptoms (dizziness) could be related to cervical spondylarthrosis or an inner ear disorder.

The constricted pupils, lack of concentration (leading to short term memory problems) and slightly raised blood pressure values could be a normal autonomic reaction to the dizziness.

Coming to this point, I would recommend you to closely monitor his blood pressure values in the next hours. Having some rest and avoiding abrupt neck movements is necessary.

I don't think there is any need to go to the ER for the moment, as his situation does not seem to be concerning about any stroke.

If his situation does not improve, or even worsens in the next days, I would recommend consulting with his GP for a physical exam and some tests (a resting ECG, complete blood count, a cervical spine X ray study, blood electrolytes, etc.).

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri