What causes dizziness and pins and needles in feet and waist?

Posted on Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: A few weeks ago during a holiday in Thailand I started feeling dizzy so I started walking from the beach to my room as I thought I was simply dehydrated.However as I continued walking I felt increasingly dizzy and kept bumping into objects on my left hand side only.I also had pins and needles down my left leg and around the left side of my waste. This persisted for a day or two.Whilst the dizziness has improved my left foot and the left side of my waste persist with the feeling of pins and needles.I am 49 go to the gym regularly and have never experienced this before.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: I will advise you to do MRI spine. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. First possibility could be lumbar canal stenosis leading to pins and needles down leg. Another possibility of lumbar disc compressing nerve root. Due to compression of this nerve root there can be pins and needle sensation in leg and waist. I will advise you to do MRI spine For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Thanks for your advice however that doesn't explain the dizziness. Could the cause be neurological in nature?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 29 hours later
Brief Answer: Explained below Detailed Answer: Hello again, As you said dizziness has improved now suggest that possibility of neurological cause is less likely. If after neurological examination some abnormality appears then MRI brain will help in diagnosis. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon