What causes dizziness and nausea?

Posted on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Iam 45 years old and feel my self getting dizzy and nauseated
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
There are many possible causes for your symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

Dizziness ans nausea are symptoms that can be related with various conditions.
The most common cause is oscillations of blood pressure.
Both high blood pressure and low blood pressure can cause dizziness and nausea.
I would suggest to monitor your blood pressure twice a day for some days .

Other possible causes for such symptoms include:
-Anemia (low hemoglobin and low RBC).
-Dehydration (drink plenty of fluids).
-Diabetes
-Pregnancy
-Neurological conditions
-Inner ear problems.

It is important to know the duration of your symptoms.How long have you been feeling dizzy and nauseated?
If it happened only one day ,it might be nothing and you just may need some rest,eat healthy ,drink plenty of fluids.Measure you blood pressure.
If you have been feeling like that for a while then you need a complete evaluation by a physician.
In this case a detailed medical history ,physical examination ans some tests are necessary :
-Measuring blood pressure
-Complete blood count (to exclude anemia)
-Blood sugar

If all these tests result normal then your physician may consider other possibilities and order specific tests (neurological examination ,inner ear evaluation etc).

I sincerely hope my answer has helped.
Let me know if you have other questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Kind Regards!
Dr.Rovena Murati

Dr. Rovena Murati