What causes dizziness and mild unconsciousness while treating hypertension?

Dr. Rini

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi. I am writing to inquire about my Mother who is 66 years of age. We spoke about a half ago. She told me that starting last night she has been really dizzy. She also passed out on her way to the bathroom last night, and has not been able to get out of bed this morning. I asked if she stopped any of her normal meds or started anything new. She said she has not taken her blood pressure medication for the past three days. I can't remember the name of said med, but could this be the cause of her dizziness and syncope?
Answered by Dr. Rini 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be because of increased blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome,

Yes, if she has missed her medicines from last three days, it can be due to accelerated blood pressure. She should go to the nearest emergency room and get her blood pressure and vitals recorded immediately..

History of mild unconsciousness can also be suggestive of Transient ischemic attack.

An MRI brain may be done to check for any cerebral anomaly. Dizziness can be because of elevated blood pressure or it can be due to transient ischemic attack also.
A baseline clinical evaluation should be done.

Feel free to ask in case of any further queries.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee