What causes dizziness and loss of balance while walking?
different possible causes
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Dizziness (feeling lightheaded) may occur with vertigo (feeling of environmental movement/swaying or feel as though you are moving/swaying/losing balance).
Most common causes relate to the inner ear, though other causes would need to be ruled out.
Inner ear causes are BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo), meniere's disease and vestibular neuronitis.
None of these are life threatening but the vertigo can make a person very uncomfortable.
Your doctor would need to assess you to determine if any of these are present.
Other less common causes would be migraine, some types of stroke, arrhymthmia (abnormal heart rate/rhythm which then affects blood supply to brain) , dehydration with abnormal electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium).
To find out the cause your doctor will find out if you have any- (A)ringing or other abnormal sounds in the ear,
(C) hearing loss,
(D)if the dizziness is worse with certain head positions
(F)any change in fluid intake, vomiting, diarrhea, fever
(G)any other relevant symptoms
He or she would need to listen to the heart, check pulse rhythm, ears, nervous system examination
Treatment would depend on the cause found
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can ear infection cause dizziness and loss of balance
- What causes dizziness while running
- What causes off balance and dizziness
- What could be causing dizziness and balance problem
- What is the cause of dizziness with a wobbly balance
- Dizziness while swallowing what is causing this
- Causes of dizziness while walking
- Dizziness and off balance causes
- What causes loss of balance and dizziness
- Cause for heaviness and dizziness while walking