What causes dizziness and lightheadedness during any exertion?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi I am a 41 year old male. 6 ft height and a weight of 91 kg. I feel lightheaded and dizzy when I am involved in even a little bit of exertion. A feeling of head spinning slightly. It happens on following occassion
1. Lifting something heavy
2. ‎Walking fast
3. ‎running
4. ‎Any such exerting activity

Normally by BP remains at 110/70.

What could be the reason for the same pls guide
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs basic cardiac tests

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to suggest you to get the following routine cardiac tests done

1. ECG
2. Echocardiography
3. TMT

These tests will help us rule out any underlying cardiac issues which could be the reason of your symptoms.

Also I would like to point out that keeping in mind your height and weight your Bp is slightly towards the lower side and a low bp during exertion can also cause these symptoms.

So simply you just need to increase daily water intake and add a bit of extra salt in your diet.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 10 minutes later
Hi I have had all the cardiac tests and cardiologist has ruled out any cardiac issue. So can it because of Low BP?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:

That's good to know that cardiac cause has been ruled out. Yes then the most likely cause is the low blood pressure.

Take the simple steps which I have told and hopefully your symptoms will subside.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Bhanu Partap, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana