What causes dizziness and high BP while on blood thinners?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I woke up this morning at 3:30 am, needing to go to the bathroom. I was dizzy and follow the walls and got and from the bathroom safely. I started to sit in the bed and my body would not sit on the bed and I ended up sitting on the floor. Finally the spinning slowed down and I was able to climb up to the bed. When I opened my eyes, the room was spinning to my right. After a while it stopped and I went back to sleep. When I woke I still had a little dizziness. Before I went to bed I had some food that had a very high salt content. Could this be the culprit that raised my blood pressure? I am eighty and take blood thinners.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are suggestive of vestibular dysfunction.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted your symptoms and they are suggestive of vestibular (inner ear) dysfunction. In this condition, particles form in the semicircular canals in inner ear, and any movement of head or neck causes dizziness. There is no need to worry as it resolves on own in a few days. If symptoms of dizziness recur, you can take betahistine tablets.

The chance of brain stroke is less, as you are already on blood thinners. You should keep your BP under control.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D