• question-icon

What causes dizziness and heart palpitations?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: For the last two days, I have been experiencing skipping heartbeats.....every 15 or 20 seconds there is a skipped beat. There is no pain or dizziness or other symptoms...but the skipping beats is quite regular. If I count over a minute or so, I can count 4-5 skipped beats. The heart beats fine,and then it just skips a beat. Should I worry about this?
Jerold Mander
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that at the age of 81 skipping heart rate needs evaluation.

I would like to suggest you to get one 24 hrs HOLTER MONITORING done. As it's a 24 hrs ambulatory ECG recording it will help your doctor to evaluate if any abnormal rhythm is ongoing along with these skipped beats, it will also give a clue to if any transient Arrythmia is occurring at some point of time during the day.

Also you need to get few blood test done
1. CBC
2. KFT
3. HbA1c
4. Serum electrolytes

So its advisable that you should personally consult your cardiologist and discuss the possibilities and get yourself properly evaluated.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist