What causes dizziness and heart palpitations in a person with anxiety?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: Hello I had a quick question. I should probably add I have GAD and I am currently taking Viibryd. Well yesterday I experienced some bouts of vertigo and we'll today when I woke I have been feeling dizzy and almost like palpations for the better part of the day yet my anxiety is not bothering me at all. My heart rate while sitting is currently 94 bpm which seems high to me however I could be wrong. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
heart rate 94 per minute is fine

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

In GAD anxiety attacks are common. You episode of dizziness and palpitation suggests anxiety attack. No need to worry about the same. Pulse rate ranges 60-100 normally. Your pulse rate 94 per minute is absolutely fine. In anxiety it can go up to 150 per minute and even that also do not need any urgent intervention.It goes back to normal as episode subsides..

As Viibryd is still not available in XXXXXXX I am not aware about its effectiveness clinically. But studies suggest good role in Depression.

For your information I would like to mention some treatment aspect of GAD.
Best treatment of generalized anxiety disorder(GAD) includes both medicines and cognitive behavior therapy(CBT).

In mild cases only CBT is sufficient. In moderate to severe cases initially medicines and then CBT is added. And later on medicines stopped gradually.
If medicines alone are used chances of relapse are more after stopping the medicines.

In medicines SSRI group of drugs(fluoxetine,paroxetine,sertraline, escitalopram and Viibryd {vilazodone is from same group}) are main stay of the treatment.I prefer paroxetine. Benzodiazepines group of drugs(clonazeapm,lorazepam or etizolam) are used initially for short duration for fast symptomatic relief.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 23 minutes later
I am currently not having any anxiety though. I am extremely calm actually. Just still am feeling lightheaded and my heart feels fluttery and it's not like a panic attack where it subsides after a while this has been happening all day.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These are likely side effects of viibryd

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for clarification.

Fluttery feeling in heart(palpitations) and light headedness can be anxiety symptoms as well as common side effects of viibryd. As they are whole day likely possibility of the side effects.
You need to discuss the same with your treating doctor.
If you are better in your anxiety problem, I think lowering the dose will help.

Feel free to ask if you have any query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 15 minutes later
Can side effects stI'll affect you if you have been on it for 5 months?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes possiblity is there

Detailed Answer:

Yes in few patients some side effects can occur later on. When basic problem is cleared and drug has worked well, due to relatively high dose in comparison to basic pathology/neurochemcal disturbance, side effects can appear.

These symptoms are also sign of fluctuation in blood pressure mostly hypo tension (lowering of blood pressure).

BP measurement can rule out this possibility easily.

All the best.
Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist