What causes dizziness and head spinning?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Last night I had a severe dizziness and head spinning a specially when changing positions
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Positional Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

From the short history you have given me I think its positional vertigo however to understand the issue better I need a few more details

1. Is the dizziness worse after closing eyes?
2. Did you suffer from a upper respiratory infection like cold or sore throat recently?
3. Is there ringing in the ear?
4. Please mention any medication you are currently

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
I am taking Lipitor and Diavan and Omerprazol
no ringing in the ears.
Dizziness is not worse after closings eyes.
Did not suffer from any infections recently, but have an occasional choking cough lately that goes away
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Benign Paraxoysmal Positional Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

From the history you have given it looks like you have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.
I suggest you to do the following

1. Tab Betahistidine 8 mg three times a day should settle it down in three days time
2. Avoid making quick movements of the head
3. Avoid heights, driving or swimming
4. If the symptoms dont settle down in 2 to 3 days time then I suggest you meet an ENT specialist for examination

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery