What causes dizziness and chest pain in a patient with history of diabetes and high blood pressure?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Aug 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: My husband is 74 and just suddenly got very dizzy. When he tried to look at the numbers on his cell phone they went round and round and he could not focus. His blood pressure is 148/86. He is diabetic but that is controlled by diet. He had chest pains yesterday for a little while but is fine today. I told him he could be an ear infection. He is able to speak coherently and does not droop anywhere.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See a physician;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern regarding to your husband's health.
The chest pain he had yesterday is of concern.
The age, Diabetes and high blood pressure are risk factors for coronary artery disease and the chest pain is a serious symptom in yhis subject.
Regarding to dizziness, there may be many causes and a detailed clinical examination would be of help.
So, I would recommend to see a physician asap.
Wish him good health.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
It's been several hours and he still cannot sit up without being overcome with vertigo. He also has a slight headache on the very top of his head. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
About vertigo;

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Vertigo can be caused by many pathologies ( It could be Menier disease, benign paroxysmal , infections of the ear, vascular pathologies ect).
We usually recommend betaserc for symptoms relieve but a detailed clinical examinations is always neccessary in these cases.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad