question-icon

What Causes Dizziness Along With Neck Pain?

Posted on Tue, 31 Oct 2017
Question: Very dizzy upon arising this morning. Worse when I move my neck.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different causes for dizziness. It can be related to --(1)reduction in blood pressure on standing, this is called postural hypotension and can be due to different causes including not using enough fluids.

Rarely there are more serious causes for postural hypotension

(2) inner ear conditions-the inner ear plays a major role in balance. Conditions of the inner ear can cause dizziness and vertigo.
The 3 main conditions of the inner ear are--(a) benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)- the dizziness occurs with certain positions of the head and lasts a few seconds in most cases

(b)meniere's disease- associated with tinnitus (abnormal noises in the ear) and hearing loss, dizziness last as least a few minutes

(c)vestibular neuronitis- dizziness lasts for hours at a time

Medications can also cause dizziness.

You may need to see your doctor for assessment to find the cause.

Based on the information provided, it may be BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) or postural hypotension but you would need to be examined to see if this the case

BPPV is treated by performing a maneuver called Epley maneuver which the doctor does in office and may also show you so that it can be done at home

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James (17 minutes later)
Why does it intensify when I turn my head.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
this is one of the common feature of this condition

Detailed Answer:
HI

BPPV was mentioned as one of the possible causes of your symptoms.

Benign paroxsymal (comes and goes) positional (varies with head position) vertigo (spinning or dizziness), is different or worse with different head positions as mentioned.

This is part of the nature of this condition, one of the common distinguishing features.

Please feel free to ask anything else
Dr. Michelle Gibson James