What causes dizziness along with loose stools and vomiting?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am almost 89 ..... recovering from a violent upset digestive system .... like flu....terrible diarrhea, stomach cramps, headache, etc. Felt better today ....one week since onset. Enjoyed a long distance call from a daughter....went to fix a little supper and the world began to spin. A new experience .... ?? I got to my bed and drank three swallows of diet cola ..... that I just keep in frig for some previous light headedness....and the spinning stopped .... two hours later now ....I feel weary and stomach a little upset .....as before, as when I was talking on the phone. Thought I was going to throw up an hour ago ..... instead had a good bowel movement. I'm alone here ....and just worried.

How do you have my email address? It hasn't been asked for.

I don't mind paying for an answer to this question .....but I don't want to be involved in anything on a monthly basis.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Electrolyte imbalance.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query my dear patient,
Have seen your details and i appreciatee your concerns.
Loose motions and vomiting etc causes depletion of water and electrolytes like sodium and potassium from body.Along with it a large amount of fluid is lost.
This may cause dizziness and vertigo in patient.

I would suggest you to take proper treatment of gastroenteritis.
Take imodium 2mg tablet twice daily
For nausea take Zofran 4 mg as and when required.
Get a stool test done.
Take lots of orange juice and coconut water.
Drink plenty of water.
Eat light and easily digestible food.

Follow up with reports of stool.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana