What causes dizziness along with lack of balance?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I feel dizzy and poor at balance the last 3-4 days
Worse in the. Morning and evening
Also seem to be sleepier
Any ideas
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
The inner ear is the organ of balance and it may be involved in an inflammation or may be affected by decreased blood flow. The inflammation usually occurs with cold or upper respiratory infection. Cervical spondylosis or diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure or cholesterol abnormalities leading to atherosclerosis are the common causes for decreased blood flow. The eye give a good support to the ear in maitaining good balance.Your symptoms of unsteadiness is worse in the morning and evening because with the decrease in light , the ears have to play a bigger role.
Tiredness, sleepiness and being less alert may occur if the cause is an infection.
Bed rest with a thin or no pillow and minimal neck movements along with plenty of warm fluids and wholesome food may be sufficient.
If these measures are not helping then you may require medicines like Betaserc and it would be better that you have yourself examined by a doctor and investigated if necessary.
Do get back to me if you have further queries.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
I also periodically get a buzzing sound in my ear in which affects my hearing and of course makes my speech sound different to me also
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the info.
It is tinnitus and is related to the inner ear. It can occur with an a short lived infection or can be long term if it is related to blood flow issues. Blood flow issues are common with cervical spondylosis related to wear and tear.
Some of my patients improve with Ginkgo biloba preparations.