What causes dizziness after taking Dutasteride and Tamsulosin?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am taking Dutasteride / tamsulosin and it makes me dizzy all day. Can I stop taking it? I have 30 day supply of Dutasteride I can substitute. Can I take it in the morning?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is probably causing a drop in blood pressure.

Detailed Answer:

This medication causes a drop in blood pressure and that's probably why you are having this dizziness. I will suggest that you drink much fluids and avoid changing positions rapidly from sitting to upright. Drinking much fluids might make urination difficult for which this drug was prescribed worse. I will say,, stop it and relay this information to your doctor. There is no risk of withdrawal effects.

Yes, it can be taken in the morning but would cause even more dizziness during the day. It is mainly to reduce excess trips to the bathroom and may not exactly help you should you change the timing.

I hope this helps. I wish you well.