What causes dizziness after pacemaker implantation?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 3 May 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been on vacation for a week. I had 3 days where when I got up I was dizzy to the point of staggering, which lasted around 2 hours. I'm home today, and woke up the same way. At 5:00 my bo was 160/110, at 6:15 190/102. I have a pacemaker, im 63 years old am on bp meds, and weigh 200 lbs at 5' 6". Do I need to be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes you should be

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
Dizziness in a patient with pacemaker could indicate pacemaker dysfunction. So i recommend you to get your Pacemaker checked as soon as you can. If their would have been any episode of decreased heart rate the pacemaker would have recorded it. So get it checked soon.
It could also be related to brain, so i will recommend getting a CT scan of brain done(get MRI done if you have a MRI compatible device) & get a neurologist advice.
Further your bp is very high. I would recommend changing Losartan to Losartan + Hydrochlorothiazide combination.
Still dizziness with rise in bp is serious thing. So get it evaluated soon.
Thanks & take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj