• question-icon

What causes distaste in the mouth while on Nexium?

Posted on Fri, 21 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I just took a few pills including over the counter medication. Within seconds, I have a very bad taste in my mouth. When I cough the bad taste gets more intense. I have been taking these medicines for a long time and never had this before. One of the medicines I haven't taken for a while is Nexium over the counter. I am bit a worried that I took something laced because this taste is very bad and intense. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do you have any more symptms

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

First of all I like to inform you that nexium is not associated with any bad taste in mouth and we need to look for other causes of bad taste in mouth.

If you never had similar experience with same pills there is definite chance of adulteration of your current pills. It could be simple poor storage or deliberate adulteration.

For management I will request you to return all available pills to the counter where you bought them and ask for replacement. In case you have more symptoms in addition to bad taste seeing a doctor or reporting details to your physician is warranted.

I hope this answers you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist