question-icon

What causes discomfort while passing a stool in infants?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question: 1.6 years baby..not passing stool properly.. putting pressure so much to pass stool. eventhough stool passed is very hard and in small quantity. Given Livoluk 5 ml twice .. but still no use
Answered by Dr. Arun (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
try lactulose suppositories

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The commonest reasons for constipation at this age is less fibre in the diet. I would suggest you to increase fruits and vegetables in diet.
Water or liquids like juices and tender coconut water should be given in plenty.
For timebeing to help him pass stools you can try lactulose suppositories.
That will help to evacuate stools easily.
Apart from that if constipation persists for a longer time do thyroid functions test.
Wishing your child good health.
Dr Arun
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology