What causes discomfort while defecation?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
My wife had surgery on her exposed hemorrhoids about 4 months ago. She had to get surgery again (by the same surgeon) because scar tissue was causing her discomfort and bowel movement problems. Now when she defecates her stool is always stringy. What could cause this and should we consult the same doctor?
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
Yes, I think that you should consult doctor to evaluate this condition since it could indicate stenosis of bowels at any level. Considering previous surgery,most probable would be stenosis at place where hemorrhoids were removed,but it must be proved by some tests such as rectoscopy or irigography. Other possible causes are tumors or partasite infections but this is not first thing to think of. In every case, I doubt that there is serious u8nderlying cause,but she should have work up to check rectum and anal canal. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards